You were only picking up a toy from the living room floor and suddenly something went seriously wrong in your lower back, causing mind-numbing pain. What can you do about it? Experts in spine and back pain in Joplin, MO tell us. While it can be helpful to know exactly where you are injured, what you do to treat your back pain can often be the same things you should be doing to prevent injuries and pain in the future. Here are some helpful lifestyle suggestions:
- Schedule an appointment with an Orthopedic, Spine, and Sports Medicine provider to ensure your pain is not associated with an injury requiring surgical treatment.
- Interventional Pain Management Clinics: If your pain does not require a surgery, consider going to an interventional pain management specialist or clinic for pain relief, self-healing technics, osteopathic manipulation therapy, and posture correction.
- Physical Therapy: Working with a physical therapist who will guide you in exercises and stretching can help elongate muscles and tendons and protect your joints. Physical therapy techniques, stretching, yoga, and gentle overall exercise can relieve current pain and prevent future pain by strengthening joints and promoting blood flow.
- Pool Therapy: Aquatic Wellness Programs have become popular as a proven and safe form of exercise post surgery with seniors and for those with back pain or arthritis.
- Caution When Lifting: Use good body mechanics when lifting, sitting, standing, and lying down. Many workplaces have posters showing safe body mechanics to prevent injuries. A Physical Therapist can also work with you on proper lifting techniques.
- Eat Well: Eating healthfully not only delivers essential energy needed to keep the body going, but also provides the nutrients we need for building and maintaining bones, ligaments, muscles, tendons, and nerves.
The above suggestions are gleaned from the comprehensive neck-to-toe orthopedic, spine, sports medicine, interventional pain management, and physical therapy services available at Orthopaedic Specialists of the Four States (Ortho Four States). Serving Joplin, MO and the entire Four State Area of Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma, Ortho Four States is the largest and most comprehensive orthopedics and sports medicine care group and facility in the region, with a patient-first approach to world-class care.